It’s that time of year again...Back To School!
It's tricky times right now and can be even trickier for those students heading back to school, specifically dorms. That's why we've compiled a list of must-know life hacks to help you survive this school year and keep you sane if you’re quarantining.
With dorm rooms, there never seems to be enough storage space. We've got you covered! Take a look at the hacks below to help you maximize the space you do have and help keep you organized.
- Bed Risers - get yourself a nice set of bed risers to help “loft” your bed. They will raise your bed higher off the ground and create extra storage space underneath for boxes, drawers, a rolling tray, you name it!
- Cascading Hangers - if you’re short on closet space, try cascading your hangers. There are several ways to do this; you can use rubber bands, string, paper clips, or even soda can tabs! For a how-to on creating your own cascading hangers, click here.
- Stay Organized - need a little extra desk space? Try putting up a hanging shower caddy on the wall. You can organize all your supplies and keep them easily in reach.
- Manage Your Time - Turn a cute picture frame into a dry erase board. You can leave yourself notes, reminders, or inspirational quotes!
- Beat the heat - For those hot summer days, beat the heat by putting a frozen water bottle in front of your fan to help chill the air. It’ll keep you cool and help you concentrate on your studies.
Communal bathrooms are never fun but if you have no other choice, try to make the most of it with these life hacks.
- Get Organized - a shower caddy tote will help you keep your bathroom essentials all in one place and is easy to carry back and forth. We recommend a mesh or plastic caddy. It’s easy to dry, clean, and disinfect.
- Styling Station - if you’re a hot tool user, you may want to invest in a portable styling station to help keep your hot tools handy, avoid burning anything and give you extra counter space.
- Keep It Clean - always carry around a pack of disinfecting wipes to wipe down surfaces before you touch them - door handles, faucets, and countertops.
Not feeling like eating cafeteria dinner or just avoiding eating out? We’ve got you covered! We’ve compiled a list of dorm room cooking hacks to keep you fed all from the comfort of your own room.
- Coffee Pot - who said coffee pots are just for coffee? Coffee pots are a great way to make a quick meal. You can make hot dogs, mac n’ cheese, and even ramen in your coffee pot! For a list of recipes, check out this article.
- Keep It Warm - hankering for a grilled cheese sandwich or want to warm up last night's pizza? You can do that and more just by plugging in your iron! Take a look here for a list of ideas.
- Mug Meals - if you’ve got a coffee mug and a microwave, you’re all set for a myriad of tasty recipes like french toast, cinnamon rolls, tofu scramble, lasagne, and so much more! Check these recipes out.
With COVID-19, going back to school looks a little different this year and you may need essentials you hadn't in past years. In the event your campus requires a mandatory quarantine, it’s important to be prepared. Below is a list of must-haves to make sure you're ready for anything!
- Hand sanitizer
- Anti-bacterial disinfectant wipes
- Mask and backup masks
- Protective gloves
- Paper towels
- Toilet Paper
- Non-perishable food: in the event that you can’t leave your dorm, it’s important to make sure you’re stocked up on food, especially non-perishable food that won’t go bad if you’re quarantined for two weeks
- Pasta/ramen noodles
- Canned soup and sauces
- Canned vegetables
- Chips, cookies, other snacks
- Beverages: KABAKI Kenyan Purple Tea is a great way to enjoy a sweet beverage while still consuming antioxidants which will benefit your health
- First aid kit: this is essential no matter if there is a quarantine or not
- Topical antibiotic
- Oral pain management and fever reducer
- Throat lozenges
- Alcohol wipes at least 70%
- Hot pad and ice pack
No matter what situation you’re in this school year, know that you can make it a great one by following a few life hacks, staying safe, and healthy!
Follow us on social media to learn more about ways to live a happier and healthier life!